Shanan is known as an all-round waterman, and West Aussie "Underground Hell-man".
Born in 1978, in Esperance, Western Australia, to a family of keen surfers.
- Winner of WSL Tube of the Year Big Wave Awards 2017
- Big Wave Surfer
- Cray Fish Diver on the Abrolhos Islands
- 3 x Esperance Deep Sea Angling Competition Winner
- Specimen Shell Diver
- Abalone Diver
- Oakley Big Wave Award Nominee and Finalist
- Billabong Big Wave Awards Finalist 2017
- One Ocean International Trainer
- Luxury Fishing Charter Skipper
Shan loved his work as an Abalone diver, but it sadly came to an end in 2013 after a cascade of events that “spooked him” - all of these events were to do with sharks in Western Australia, and left him suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and anxiety related to the ocean.
So much so that he struggled to get back in to the water for a year, resulting in a career change.
Whilst abalone diving 180km east of Esperance in October 2013, a fellow abalone diver - Greg Pickering (Shark Eyes Ambassador) was attacked by a White Shark and left critically injured.
Shanan along with two other colleagues administered life saving first aid to him, 4 hours from town in a remote location, and rushed him to hospital; luckily he survived and still dives to this day.